Monday, December 1, 2008

CHRISTmas

Merry Christmas! Like many of you, I'm crazy about the Christmas season. I love the lights, the baking, the glitter. Unfortunately, this is also all Christmas is about for some people. In fact, the politically correct way to address someone in December is now "Happy Holidays," since the word Christ is the most important part of Christmas. And Christ is what I truly want to celebrate this season. So through the month of December I'll be posting our favorite traditions. Many are ways we praise God, several are ways we spend time together as a family, and even the more secular are done with the real reason for the season first in our hearts.

Most dear to my heart is the putting up of the Nativities. I have several! The nativity from my childhood was made by my grandma. It was always treated as the most special part of our Christmas. When I married and moved into a home of my own I knew I wanted a nativity that could be as special to me as that one was. That's how I found this one.
It was made of olive wood cut from trees outside of Bethlehem and carved by artists from the holy land. And I love it. It actually stays out all year, but its no less a part of our Christmas.
I also like this one, given to me by my SIL. I've hinted how much I like it and am hoping for more pieces this year!And another sample of the collection.

So join us this month for more ideas. Maybe this will inspire you to take pictures of your own traditions. Don't overlook these memories just because they don't have pictures of people! And thanks to Amber for suggesting the idea on her blog! The Advent Event - Sharing Christmas ideas, traditions, tips and more!

4 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

Is that a Willowtree nativity? It's gorgeous!

Ruth said...

Those are so beautiful! Mine's kind of ugly. The faces are all painted off to the side like nobody was paying attention when they made them. I think Baby Jesus' eyeball is on his cheek.
Someday I'll be able to afford something respectable!

Kelly said...

Janna~ Yep, its Willow Tree. SIL has an entire Christmas tree for her Willow Tree angel ornaments!

Ruth~ I ask for mine for Christmas. (Sneaky, huh?) This year I've requested a metal hanging from my mom and I'm hinting at begining a new collection of Mikasa crystal from my MIL!

Anonymous said...

I love your nativities! My best friend also collects them and has several. (She'd be jealous of your willow tree one!) :P
I only have one, and it's a CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP resin one from Wal-Mart. There's a good reason for that, though. They've already been broken and glued back together several times. ;)
Thanks so much for joining in. :)