Monday, May 4, 2009

Roots

A few months ago my Grandpa passed away. As my Grandma preceded him in death, with this event came the task of sorting through their personal belongings. And oh, what treasures we found.

Albums from the 50's, 60's, and 70's, newspaper clippings of births, deaths, and marriages, aging wedding invitations, and, best of all, boxes of photos in old folders, some dating back to the late 1800's.

In six file folder boxes (you know, the kind from the 60's) are the portrait images of my great-great grandparents, aunts, uncles, and other distant relations. As best as I can tell, the oldest is one of my grandpa's mother at about age 8. She is wearing a calico dress and pinafore, hair plaited in two braids, sitting with 40 or so other children in front of a school house. It may have been a two-room school, as the photo also contains two school masters, severe and demanding from the looks of it.

Also in the boxes are my Great-Grandma's collection of family history. I believe she started with her husband's family and traced back four generations to the Henrick family arriving in America from Alsace-Lorraine. It was fascinating reading, but even more interesting was her own paternal family tree, going back eleven generations to a family settling in the New World in the early 1700's. By the time the family tree arrives at the Revolutionary War, they are third generation Americans (or Britans. Whatever.).

And I cannot tell you how grateful I am. My family took the time to preserve their stories, their photos, their beliefs and faith, their history, and their records for me to see today.

What will you leave?

2 comments:

Janna Leadbetter said...

That's incredibly special!

Janna Leadbetter said...

PS. I hope to leave behind a legacy of words, from which my family can create pictures with their minds' eyes.