Monday, May 11, 2009

Digi Grandma

Last week I told you about the treasure trove discovered in my grandparent's home. Boxes filled with family history, carefully kept for future generations.

Today I'd like to tell you what I am doing with it.

Photographs do not split well. Who has the right to Great-Grandma Laura's school portrait? One of her four children, her grand children, her great-grandchildren, or her great-great-grandchildren? To solve this problem I have hired a company to scan each of these precious photographs and turn them into digital files.

Digital photos, combined with the massive amount of historical information provided by Great-Grandma Henrick, will allow me to create scrapbooks for my entire family. A family tree, copies of memorabilia like the receipt for Grandpa Henrick's first car (a Chevy Roadster purchased in 1929, days before the stock market crash), the newspaper article of a family member "missing" only to be discovered hitching a ride on a train to travel to the next state to enlist in the army. All of these can be added to my computer files, uploaded to a printing service, and bound into a hardback book. At about $40-$50, depending on the type of cover chosen, anyone and everyone will be able to order a copy of this book.

So everyone can have a copy of the picture of my Grandma modeling her first bikini.

No comments: